According to GST rules, it is mandatory for a business that has a turnover of above Rs.40 lakh to register as a normal taxable entity. This is referred to as the GST registration process. The turnover is Rs.10 lakh for businesses that are present in hill states and North-Eastern states. The GST registration process can be completed within 6 working days.
GST registration can be easily done on the online GST portal. Business owners can fill a form on the GST portal and submit the necessary documents for registration. Businesses must complete the GST registration process. It is a criminal offense to carry out operations without registering for GST and heavy penalties are levied for non-registration.
What is GST registration?
The process by which a taxpayer gets registered under Goods and Service Tax (GST) is GST registration. Once the registration process has been completed, the Goods and Service Tax Identification Number (GSTIN) is provided. The 15-digit GSTIN is provided by the Central Government and helps to determine whether a business is liable to pay GST.
Who is eligible to register under GST?
GST Registration must be completed by the following individuals and businesses:
- Individuals who have registered under the tax services before the GST law came into effect.
- Non-Resident Taxable Person and Casual Taxable Person
- Individuals who pay tax under the reverse charge mechanism
- All e-commerce aggregators
- Businesses that have a turnover that exceeds Rs.40 lakh. In the case of Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, and North-Eastern states, the turnover of the business should exceed Rs.10 lakh.
- Input service distributors and agents of a supplier
- Individuals who supply goods through an e-commerce aggregator.
- Individuals providing database access and online information from outside India to people who live in India other than those who are registered taxable persons.
Types of GST Registration
Under the GST Act, GST Registration can be of various types. You must be aware of the different types of GST Registration before selecting the appropriate one. The different types of GST Registration are:
Most businesses in India fall under this category. You need not provide any deposit to become a normal taxpayer. There is also no expiry date for taxpayers who fall under this category.
Casual Taxable Person
Individuals who wish to set up a seasonal shop or stall can opt for this category. You must deposit an advance amount that is equal to the expected GST liability during the time the stall or seasonal shop is operational. The duration of the GST Registration under this category is 3 months and it can be extended or renewed.
Apply for this if you wish to obtain the GST Composition Scheme. You will have to deposit a flat under this category. The Input tax credit cannot be obtained under this category.
Non-Resident Taxable Person
If you live outside India, but supply goods to individuals who stay in India, opt for this type of GST Registration. Similar to the Casual Taxable Person type, you must pay a deposit equal to the expected GST liability during the time the GST registration is active. The duration for this type of GST registration is usually 3 months, but it can be extended or renewed at the type of expiry.
Steps to complete GST registration process online
The step-by-step procedure that individuals must follow to complete GST Registration is mentioned below:
- Step 1: Visit the GST portal - https://www.gst.gov.in
- Step 2: Click on the ‘Register Now’ link which can be found under the ‘Taxpayers’ tab
- Step 3: Select ‘New Registration’.
- Step 4: Fill the below-mentioned details:
- Under the ‘I am a’ drop-down menu, select ‘Taxpayer’.
- Select the respective state and district.
- Enter the name of the business.
- Enter the PAN of the business.
- Enter the email ID and mobile number in the respective boxes. The entered email ID and mobile number must be active as OTPs will be sent to them.
- Enter the image that is shown on the screen and click on ‘Proceed’.
- Step 5: On the next page, enter the OTP that was sent to the email ID and mobile number in the respective boxes.
- Step 6: Once the details have been entered, click on ‘Proceed’.
- Step 7: You will be shown the Temporary Reference Number (TRN) on the screen. Make a note of the TRN.
- Step 8: Visit the GST portal again and click on ‘Register’ under the ‘Taxpayers’ menu.
- Step 9: Select ‘Temporary Reference Number (TRN)’.
- Step 10: Enter the TRN and the captcha details.
- Step 11: Click on ‘Proceed’.
- Step 12: You will receive an OTP on your email ID and registered mobile number. Enter the OTP on the next page and click on ‘Proceed’.
- Step 13: The status of your application will be available on the next page. On the right side, there will be an Edit icon, click on it.
- Step 14: There will be 10 sections on the next page. All the relevant details must be filled, and the necessary documents must be submitted. The list of documents that must be uploaded are mentioned below:
- Business address proof
- Bank details such as account number, bank name, bank branch, and IFSC code.
- Authorization form
- The constitution of the taxpayer.
- Step 15: Visit the ‘Verification’ page and check the declaration, Then submit the application by using one of the below mentioned methods:
- By Electronic Verification Code (EVC). The code will be sent to the registered mobile number.
- By e-Sign method. An OTP will be sent to the mobile number linked to the Aadhaar card.
- In case companies are registering, the application must be submitted by using the Digital Signature Certificate (DSC).
- Step 16: Once completed, a success message will be shown on the screen. The Application Reference Number (ARN) will be sent to the registered mobile number and email ID.
- Step 17: You can check the status of the ARN on the GST portal
Documents required for GST Registration
Here are the documents required to complete GST Registration:
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card
- Business address proof
- Bank account statement and cancelled cheque
- Incorporation Certificate or the business registration proof
- Digital Signature
- Director’s or Promoter’s ID proof, address proof, and photograph
- Letter of Authorization or Board Resolution from Authorized Signatory
GST Registration Via Authentication of Aadhaar
New businesses can secure their GST registration with the help of the Aadhaar. The process is simple and quick. The new process came into effect from 21 August 2020. The procedure to opt for Aadhaar authentication is mentioned below:
- When you apply for GST registration, you will be provided with an option to choose Aadhaar authentication.
- Select ‘YES’. The authentication link will be sent to the registered email ID and mobile number.
- Click on the authentication link.
- Enter the Aadhaar number and select ‘Validate’.
- Once the details have been matched, an OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number and email ID.
- Enter the OTP to complete the process. You will get the new GST registration within three working days.
Online GST Registration Fees
In case you complete the GST Registration procedure online, no fee will be levied. Once the relevant documents have been uploaded, an Application Reference Number (ARN) will be sent via SMS and email to confirm the registration.
Penalty for Not Registering or Late Registering Under GST
If you do not pay tax or pay a lesser amount than what is due, the penalty that is levied is 10% of the due amount (in case of genuine errors). However, the minimum penalty is Rs.10,000.
If you have not registered for GST and are deliberately trying to evade tax, the penalty levied is 100% of the due tax amount.
Created & Posted by (Anuj)
CA-Article at TAXAJ
TAXAJ is a consortium of CA, CS, Advocates & Professionals from specific fields to provide you a One Stop Solution for all your Business, Financial, Taxation & Legal Matters under One Roof. Some of them are: Launch Your Start-Up Company/Business, Trademark & Brand Registration, Digital Marketing, E-Stamp Paper Online, Closure of Business, Legal Services, Payroll Services, etc. For any further queries related to this or anything else visit TAXAJ
Watch all the Informational Videos here: YouTube Channel
TAXAJ Corporate Services LLP
Address: 1/11, 1st Floor, Sulahkul Vihar, Old Palam Road, Dwarka, Delhi-110078