The e-filing users require a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) to sign the income tax returns, forms and other places where authentication of the user on the electronic document is required. Hence, DSC serves as a proof of identity for an individual or an organisation for online purposes.
A Digital Signature Certificate is mandatory for certain taxpayers or to avail some services. The companies and political parties have to e-verify their income tax return through the digital signature certificate. Also, the persons whose books of accounts require a tax audit should e-verify their income tax returns. For others, it is optional.
Register Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) service on new income tax portal
The registered taxpayers of the new e-filing portal can perform the following:
- Register their DSC
- Re-register DSC when registered DSC has expired/not expired
- Register DSC of Principal Contact
The taxpayers who wish to use their DSC must re-register their DSC on the new income tax portal. Due to technical reasons, the DSC registered on the old e-filing portal will not be migrated to the new e-filing portal of income tax.
Prerequisites for registration of DSC
- The taxpayer should be registered at the e-filing portal with a valid user ID and password.
- Plugin the DSC USB token
- The DSC USB token should be a class 2 or class 3 certificate
- The DSC should be active and not expired
- DSC should not be revoked
- Download and install the emsigner utility.
How to download the emsigner utility
Downloading the emsigner utility is necessary before registration of DSC. Follow the below steps to download the emsigner utility:
Step 1: Go to the income tax e-filing portal
Step 2: Click on the ‘Downloads’ tab from the top.
Step 3: Click on ‘DSC Management Utility’ in the left pane
Step 4: Click on the link ‘Utility (emBridge)’.
Step 5: The utility will start downloading. After the download is complete, install it.
Steps to register DSC in the new e-filing portal
Follow the steps to know how to register DSC on the new e-filing portal.
Step 2: Go to ‘My Profile’ from the dashboard.
Step 3: Click on ‘Register DSC’ on the left.
Step 4: Enter the email ID linked with the DSC token. Select ‘I have downloaded and installed emsigner utility’ and click on the ‘Continue’ button.
- If your DSC is expired, it will display – ‘Your registered DSC has already expired. Please re-register a valid DSC’.
- If you want to re-register an unexpired DSC, click on ‘View’ to view the details or click on ‘Update’ to update the same.
- If you want to register the DSC with the principal contact, enter the email ID of the principal contact registered at the e-filing portal and proceed to register DSC.
Step 5: Select the ‘Provider’ and ‘Certificate’ from the dropdown and enter the ‘provider password’. Click on the ‘Sign’ button.
It will display a success message on the successful registration of DSC.
For more info visit TAXAJ
Posted by Ramesh Kumar Gupta